History of St. Michael's Parish

The first Catholic Mass in Albion, NE was celebrated in 1876 by Fr. John M. Smith at the residence of Hiram Rice. By 1881 a church had been built at a site near 7th & Market Streets, but in 1900 the subject of a bigger church was brought up by Bishop Scannell of Omaha at one of his regular visits. The ground for the new church was broken on August 25, 1906 and the new church was formally dedicated on October 29, 1908. The cost of the church with all of its furnishings was estimated at $60,000.

St. Michael's School building was completed in 1955 and the first classes began that fall.